Underfloor Heating Manifolds Explained
Underfloor heating system provide warmth in a comfortable, even way that is both cost-effective and maintenance-free.
An underfloor heating manifold is a system made up of a series of thermostatically controlled two-port valves. It also includes temperature gauges, a mixing valve, and circulation pump, and can have anything from two to twelve circuits in total, depending on the size of the system.
Where Might You See Manifolds?
Contour works within a range of public and private sector properties, offering solutions regarding the concealment of manifolds. Generally, these buildings house:
- Schools and nurseries
- SEN educational facilities
- Mental health settings
They are often located in areas that are not commonly occupied by large numbers of people. Areas such as small store cupboards, cleaning cupboards, service rooms, corridors and corners of rooms, are where you’re most likely to find manifolds.
Quite often, cleaning, store cupboards, and service rooms are only accessed by authorised personnel, making manifolds a relatively discreet system within the building
However, there are occasions where manifolds are visible in communal areas. For example, you may see manifolds in kitchen and dining areas. Due to the everyday nature of such areas, manifolds may become vulnerable to spillages and tampering, depending on who is using the space.
Why DeepClean Radiator Guards?
Contour’s deep clean radiator guards have proven to be a popular product within our range for a number of reasons:
- Slimline design minimalises the loss of floor space. Whether in a cupboard or in a high-traffic area, the need for space is a priority. The issue of boxing in pipework may cause unnecessary loss of space which isn’t ideal in a variety of circumstances. The Slimline design reduces the loss of floor space in comparison to traditional manifold covers .
- Safe radius corners prevent injuries in the event of a slip or fall. Cleaning cupboards are known to house a range of different products and appliances, causing such areas to be overcrowded. This may pose a risk of tripping or slipping to persons using the space.
In areas of high traffic such as kitchens or dining halls, floors will often require cleaning and are often at risk of spillage due to the unpredictable nature of certain service users and students in care homes and educational settings.
The safe radius corners allow the risk of injury due to falling to be minimalised.
- 5mm Zintec mild steel construction ensures robust performance and corrosion resistance. The need for longevity and durability of all products is a priority in all settings. This should also be the case when choosing the correct coverings for radiators, pipework and manifolds.
- Internal fixings remove tampering opportunities. As all internal fixings are housed inside the casing, the opportunity for tampering with components is minimalised. When working with vulnerable service users and children, tampering opportunities should be reduced to avoid unnecessary damage or injury.
- Easy access for cleaning and maintenance. Traditional coverings are often large, obtrusive and difficult to clean, making them a major source of bacteria. The DeepClean radiator guards can be easily cleaned by one operative, with no need for assistance.
- BioCote® anti-microbial protection integrated into the product paintwork as standard. Contour is proud to offer BioCote® protection to most of its products. The unique, innovative technology reduces microbes such as MRSA and E.coli by up to 99.9%, providing effective, long-lasting protection.
Benefits Of Deep Clean Radiator Guards As Manifold Covers
Aside from the product details listed above, we recommend you choose deep clean radiator guards as manifold covers for three main reasons:
- They conceal unsightly manifolds. One of the biggest issues that we have found with manifolds is their unattractive quality. There is often an element of concern when people see exposed pipework.
By concealing the manifolds with one-piece construction, the manifolds can be easily hidden away from view, allowing for a more aesthetic appeal.
Whist allowing complete coverage of the manifolds, you are also able to easily access them for cleaning and maintenance, when necessary.
- They mimimise the risk of damage and injury. Whether they are located in a cleaning cupboard or high-traffic communal area, manifolds are often vulnerable to damage.
Parts of the manifold are made with relatively delicate materials. For example, the dials are often contained in a thin glass casing. These could be easily damaged by leaning cleaning products against them.
In communal areas within mental health settings, for example, these materials could be used as a vandalism opportunity. Additionally, broken glass from the flow meters could be used as a weapon or instrument for self-harm.
- Versatility. Contour is able to manufacture the radiator guard to fit on to any manifold, depending on specific requirements, making the radiator a superior choice when deciding upon manifold coverage.
We have had many inquiries as to whether Contour’s DeepClean radiator guards can be manufactured to provide coverage to manifolds, and the simple answer is yes.
The DeepClean radiator guards offer a range of features, making it stand out against standard radiator guards, providing superior quality.
If you would like to find out more about how Contour can effectively conceal manifolds, fill out the form below.
Contour produces a range of innovative, safe surface temperature systems for healthcare, education, mental health, commercial and secure sectors, working in close partnership and collaborating with architects, M&E engineers, NHS Trusts, local authorities, design consultants and contractors to deliver outstanding safe heating solutions.
Contour is the exclusive partner of BioCote® anti-microbial technology for LST and anti-ligature radiators. BioCote® additives reduce bacteria by up to 99.9%. Contour combines an extensive range of colour-paints is with BioCote® for a durable, high-quality finish.
Contour’s heating solutions offer secure, single-person quick access to radiator guard interiors for regular deep cleaning and maintenance. Each year, Contour save the NHS millions of pounds in cleaning costs, therefore delivering cleaner, safer environments. Contour is redefining the marketplace and therefore many regard us as a design and innovation leader within the industry.
Contour has a quality- first philosophy. Our customer-focused team possess a ‘can-do’ attitude, they take pride in developing solutions for your heating requirements.
Contact us at:
The Mansions, 43 Broadway Shifnal
Shropshire TF11 8BB United Kingdom
+44 1952 290 498
LinkedIn: Contour Heating Products Ltd